Thursday, 1 January 2009

New Year's Eve

We invited our friends' over to enjoy NYE 2008.  Susanne, Darren, Oskar & Isac and Kerry, Steve and Ella came late afternoon and we had a Spanish themed buffet.  When the children got a little loud and too noisy, the Dads took them over to the park for a good kick around with the balls.  It was bliss to sit for a little while and enjoy the nice and quiet house.  It didn't last long though but I managed to get a cuppa in!!

I'm slightly sad that the memories from this year's celebrations will have In The Night Garden and Thomas the Tank Engine in them!  Oh well, there were 3 toddlers about.

We went to watch the early fireworks, 9pm, had a great spot elevated above the Foreshore but Ella and Jacob really didn't like them.  Jacob had his arms very tightly around my neck, I could let go of him and he was still holding really tightly, his hat on over his eyes and just in case any light got through, his hand overs his eyes.  We asked if he wanted to look at the fireworks and he said "no no no no no".  I think he might now be traumatised for years.

At 9.45pm we went outside once again as the International Space Station would be going over us.  I couldn't remember the exact details but it was traveling very fast and there was only a short time (minutes) we would be able to see it.  Wow!  I was very impressed.  It went over our house really fast and was shining very brightly and then it must have gone over the curviture of the earth and it just started to fade and then disappear into the night sky.  Amazing.  Sorry for you non saddos like me.

Our friends slowly went home during the evening and then it was Dave and I left watching television.  At 11.30pm we couldn't stay awake any longer, so we went to bed, Dave was asleep in minutes, I lay there waiting for the 12 o'clock fireworks to go off and did they go off?!  They were so noisy, Dave woke straight away and Jacob slept through it all.  

The perfect way to welcome in 2009!  Happy New Year to you.

No comments: